Random transgenesis is a classical approach to generate transgenic mice by the introduction of a foreign DNA sequence/fragment into a mouse egg. The insertion of the foreign DNA usually results in a gain of function (expression of a new gene) or in the over-expression of endogenous genes.
The method used for the generation of transgenic mice is called « pronuclear injection ». The transgene is injected into a fertilized mouse egg and then integrates at random positions in the genome.
Simple molecular biology work
Short development time
Not limited by the genetic background
Unpredictable integration site
Variable and unpredictable copy number of the transgene
Requires several independant transgenic lines
genOway has developed an innovative ES cell-based technology ("Safe DNA transgenesis™") that reduces the risks associated with the development of transgenic mouse lines by DNA pronuclear random integration. This approach allows the generation of a high number of founders with validated characteristics (no truncated transgene and low, medium or high transgene copy number). Contact us to learn more about this technology.
Engineering a Transgenic Mouse
Custom Transgenesis Mouse Services at genOway
genOway provides a one-stop solution for the design, creation and analysis of your custom mouse model.
Step 1: Scientific evaluation
genOway has a dedicated team of scientists and bioinformatics experts who are able to perform thorough analyses of your project feasibility including:
- Defining the model's objectives
- Determining the characteristics of the target gene/locus
- Analyzing data culled from the literature
Step 2: Design of genetically modified model
We evaluate the possible gene targeting options based on the results of the above scientific evaluation and present the design to the principal investigator with a clear assessment of model features, risks and timelines.
- Our process guides you toward the best choice for your model design.
- We provide free and non-binding access to this expertise.
Step 3: Production
genOway has an extensive background in genetically modified mouse technology and will provide you with the highest quality product possible. Four mouse production options are available. All options include the same dedicated customer support.Option 1: Full service
Your project is managed from initial conception to final realization by our in-house transgenesis experts. This level of service includes:
- Model design, starting from a gene accession number
- Model creation up to validated heterozygous/homozygous animals
- Cohort production
- Phenotyping (i.e. physiological validation of the model along with a comprehensive array of tests)
Option 2: Standard service
genOway manages your project from initial conception (starting from a gene accession number) to the delivery of heterozygous animals.Option 3: Partial production service
Exit the model creating process at any step of your choosing (such as vector construction or recombined ES cell line creation).Option 4: Animal production service
genOway manages your model creation project, starting from existing targeting vectors or ES cell clones. These vectors or clones are either developed in your lab or available via third-party providers.
|Milestones||Full||Standard||Partial production||Animal production|
|Project evaluation||Bibliography search, project feasibility assessment||
Analysis of the selected strategy,
Model design and targeting
|Recombined ES cells||x||x||optional||optional|
ES cell lines are currently available for the following genetic backgrounds :
C57BL/6N, C57BL/6J, BALB/c, 129Sv, 129Ola
Our ES cell lines have been validated for germline transmission after 2 rounds of electroporation.
Our guarantee comprises:
- Generation of chimeras
- ES cell germline transmission
- Developmental deadlines
- Exclusivity of intellectual property
- Breeding under VAF+/SOPF conditions: the health status is issued by professional breeders (such as Charles River)
- Line importation and worldwide delivery of the line using a professional transport network
Benefits of Entrusting Your Model Development Project to genOway
- More than 1,500 models generated so far
- Strong consulting activity provided for model design
- Thorough project assessment prior to project start
Quality controlled production
- Robust and validated technologies
- Clear cut guarantees
- No waiting list
Project management and reporting
- A dedicated PhD project manager
- Rigorous and regular reporting
- On-site meetings
Unique IP positioning
- Access to exclusive licenses for key technologies
- Customer retains all the IP on the model
- No claim, no royalty, no follow-on rights by genOway