Our Low-Carbon Contribution Actions
In 2021 genOway launched the genOway Low-Carbon Project, which aims to create low-carbon and resilient production and operating methods, and reduce its total GHG emissions (scopes 1 to 3) by 6% per year, over a period of 5 years (2022–2027).
This plan, created on a voluntary basis to build a low-carbon and resilient organization, affirms our determination to contribute to the country's reduction by 66% of global GHG emissions by 2030.
"After two years of work, the company has built an ambitious but realistic plan. We believe that over the next five years, the company will be able to even better meet its economic objectives if it meets its social and environmental objectives."
Alexandre Fraichard, CEO
After two years of work … We believe that over the next five years, the company will fulfill its commitments and contribute to the collective effort requested by the Paris COP 25. To ensure its future, genOway must meet its social and environmental objectives.
Why is this project essential to us?
To respond to two unavoidable global dynamics:
- The decrease in available fossil fuels will have inevitable consequences on the globalized economy. genOway must prepare for this inevitable evolution by profoundly transforming itself in the direction of energetic sobriety and increasing its resilience to the difficulties of international flows, for both supplies and deliveries.
- Climate change is the result of GHG emissions from individuals and companies alike, and is endangering humanity. genOway has aligned itself with the recommendations of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and is committed to actively participate to contain the increase in average global temperatures to below 2°C by 2100 by setting up sustainable processes and using products that are reusable and long-lasting.
How will this plan benefit our economic performance?
Despite this ambitious reduction in its total emissions, genOway expects to improve its economic performance through:
- Better commercial performance of its products due to the expectation of our research customers for low-carbon products and services
- Increased ability to recruit young talent looking for a company active in addressing climate change
- Lower unit production costs through a complete re-engineering of our processes
- Increased motivation of employees and partners by positioning genOway in tune with the challenges of this new century
"Our low-carbon approach, by systematically questioning all our processes, leads us to find new ways of producing more reliably and at lower cost. For us, constraints are a powerful lever to boost our innovation and increase our performance."
Benjamin Bruneau, Chief Financial Officer
genOway's ongoing actions to reduce carbon emissions
- Audit performed by a specialized company and establishment of genOway’s carbon footprint. Initiated in 2021, this is a long-term project since most of the products the company is purchasing are sophisticated products with unknown carbon content. We are actively looking for collaborations in the field.
- Raising awareness of the climate issue among all employees through workshops (climate fresco) and regular communications on this matter during the general assembly.
- Organization in working groups to initiate steps to reduce carbon emissions. Seven groups of employees have been created and are working weekly (10% to 20% of their working hours) on different projects and actions aiming at implementing our plan. More than 25% of our employees are directly involved in these programs.
First actions by groups (soon detailed)
- Reduction in the use of consumables
- Change in our purchase policy to source products of lower carbon content
- Improvement of the energetic performance of our machines, laboratories and offices
- To favor low emission transport for staff and product travels
⇨ To learn more about our most recent actions related to the GBC project, please visit our social networks: https://www.linkedin.com/company/genoway/