Constitutive Knockout Cell Lines (Conventional)
Get supplemental information, a quote, and estimated timeframe to generate your Knockout cell line.
A constitutive Knockout cell line, also referred to as conventional Knockout (KO), defines a model in which the target gene is permanently inactivated.
No protein is produced.
Typical applications for constitutive Knockout cell lines
For academic research:
For bio-pharmaceutical research & development:
Strengths and limitations of constitutive Knockout cell lines
- Total absence of protein including all isoforms, or total absence of a specific isoform
- Reliable: each cell line is matched with an isogenic control cell clone
- Feasible in all genetic backgrounds and cell types
- Functions of the KO protein may be compensated by related proteins, called genetic compensation
- Genetic modification of the gene of interest may deregulate neighboring genes, inducing a non-specific phenotype
- Challenging in cells with high polyploidy
→ Risks can be strongly minimized by applying in-depth bio-informatic, genetic, and bibliographic analyses
→ An alternative model is a functional Knockout by introducing a point mutation to produce an inactive protein
Follow this link if you seek another customized cell line model.